Home BusinessThe Trump administration targets three additional suspected drug-smuggling vessels in the Pacific and Caribbean

The Trump administration targets three additional suspected drug-smuggling vessels in the Pacific and Caribbean

by Isabella
0 comments

The U.S. military has intensified its maritime crackdown as The Trump administration targets three additional suspected drug-smuggling vessels in the Pacific and Caribbean, an operation that officials say is aimed at disrupting narcotics routes used by criminal networks.

Military Strikes Leave 11 Dead

U.S. Southern Command confirmed that American forces carried out coordinated strikes on three boats on Monday—two located in the eastern Pacific Ocean and one in the Caribbean Sea. According to the military, the operation resulted in the deaths of 11 individuals. Officials said intelligence indicated the vessels were traveling along well-known drug-trafficking corridors and were actively involved in smuggling activities.

In a statement shared on social media, Southern Command described those killed as suspected “narco-terrorists” and said the action was conducted under the direction of Marine Corps Gen. Francis Donovan. No U.S. personnel were injured during the mission.

Claims Made, Evidence Limited

While the Pentagon released footage showing the boats being destroyed, it has not provided independent proof that the vessels were carrying drugs or that those onboard were directly involved in trafficking operations. Independent verification of the military’s claims has not been possible so far.

The latest action is part of a broader campaign that began in September 2025, targeting small maritime vessels believed to be used by drug cartels. With these strikes, the total number of similar operations has surpassed 40, and the reported death toll has reached at least 145.

Congressional Concerns but Continued Operations

The ongoing strikes have drawn criticism from some members of Congress and legal experts, who argue the operations raise serious questions about oversight, accountability, and the use of lethal force without prior congressional approval. Despite these concerns, lawmakers have so far allowed the campaign to continue.

The Trump administration targets three additional suspected drug-smuggling vessels in the Pacific and Caribbean

Critics have described the strategy as aggressive and potentially unlawful, especially after reports that earlier operations may have targeted survivors of initial strikes. Supporters within the administration, however, maintain the measures are necessary to disrupt trafficking networks responsible for supplying drugs that contribute to overdose deaths in the United States.

Growing Regional Tensions

The maritime operations are also contributing to rising tensions with Venezuela, which the U.S. has repeatedly accused of serving as a major transit hub for narcotics. The broader anti-cartel strategy has included expanded military deployments in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific under what officials describe as an armed campaign against transnational criminal organizations.

In January, U.S. forces carried out a high-profile operation involving Venezuelan leadership, further straining diplomatic relations. Venezuelan officials have rejected U.S. allegations and insist their government remains legitimate, while political rhetoric on both sides continues to escalate.

A Campaign Under Scrutiny

As the maritime strike campaign grows, it remains one of the most controversial elements of the administration’s anti-drug strategy. Supporters argue the operations are disrupting cartel logistics and deterring traffickers, while critics warn that the lack of transparency and legal clarity could have long-term consequences for U.S. policy and international law.

You may also like